Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Story

Everything Happens for a Reason:
Three years ago I began planning a volunteer trip abroad to Japan with a group called United Planet. At this location, I would spend time volunteering in a childcare center for children with special needs. When funding for this trip did not work out, I spent my summer volunteering at a local school in New Jersey for children with special needs. There I met handfuls of fabulous people and decided to become a special education teacher. It was largely because of that experience that I decided to get my masters in special education at Vanderbilt. I believe that my funding fell through for a reason. My two summers spent working at PG Chambers provided me with incredible experiences that all occurred because I could not afford to go to Japan. Volunteering abroad is a dream, but volunteering in my own community was a blessing. 

Resurfaced Feelings:
This year when the urge to volunteer abroad resurfaced, I knew that I couldn't ignore it. Unfortunately, the Japan programs are not currently running due to the effects from the Tsunami and I was forced to look elsewhere. This led me to two options: (1) volunteering in Romania in an orphanage or (2) volunteering in South Africa in an orphanage. After careful consideration of where I would feel the safest, how my special education degree would be put to use, and the overall reliability of the programs, I decided on...

South Africa! 

Gordon's Bay, South Africa:

The program that I decided on is located in Gordon's Bay, South Africa.


Gordon's Bay is a beautiful, small town about 40 minutes outside of Cape Town and 30 minutes from the wine region - Stellenbosch. I will be volunteering there for four weeks in either January or July (still working on choosing a date) in an orphanage called the Nceduluntu EduCare Center.

I cannot wait to see the children and have the opportunity to teach them and learn from them! 

Future Plans:
I still have a lot to do before I go to Africa. This week I am planning to meet with a woman at the study abroad office and officially choose a date. This journey has a lot in store for me and I can't wait to see how it unfolds.

No comments:

Post a Comment